Regularly scheduled posting will be back soon, I promise. We appreciate your understanding during this bit of a rough patch. But the resolution is in sight, and we’ll get everything back rolling ASAP. And while I handle various whatnots associated with it, I’m gonna crank some gaming podcasts to help me think of nerdy stuff.
This week on the dial we have: The Polyhedron Collider Cast Episode 50: Arkham Horror 3rd ed, Deep Madness and Monolith Arena; Chance of Gaming Episode 118; Epic Gaming Night Episode 178: Events & Encounters!; The Secret Cabal Episode 170: Blitz Bowl and Blood Bowl Comparison, The Thing Infection at Outpost 31 and Gimmicks in Board Games; Dungeon Masters Ludus Episode 08: Running Horror Adventures; The Offline Gamer Episode 34: Essen Spiel 2018; and Blue Peg, Pink Peg Episode 134: Essen 2018 & Feudum.
Any other podcast would make a big song and dance about releasing their 50th episode. Not the boys from the PHC, because they weren’t paying attention and didn’t realise they had reached such a prestigious milestone.
Instead they talk about four games that may well make their best of the year lists; Steve gets his arse handed to him by Arkham Horror 3rd Edition, Andy goes into a Deep Madness and Jon tackles Monolith Arena. Andy and Steve then quickly say how much they love Brass (Brarse), while Jon tackles the news and Steve’s delves deep into his sack, mail sack that is.
Now with production quality! We talk about SAGA, game sales, BGGcon, what we played plus news of the week
What we have been playing!
- (Roy) Discovery
- (Rob) Wahoo
- (Matt) Nothing
- What are events & encounters in games?
- What are some games that use events & encounters?
- How can different events and encounters add to the story of the game?
- What are some mechanics that can be used in game encounters?
- Do you normally like games that have events and and counters or story moments in them?
- How can events in and counters at theme to a game?
- When can events and encounters be bad in a game?
- What is your favorite game with events or encounters and how did the mechanics play out?
With Chris on vacation in the UK, Aaron from the Lords of the Dungeon sits in to make some jokes and trade barbs with Steve. Then Steve and Jamie compare and review Blitz Bowl and Blood Bowl from Games Workshop. Then they take a look back at The Thing Infection at Outpost 31 one year later. After Tony Topper gives you the best damn gaming news segment in all of tabletop gaming the gang discusses gimmicks in board games!
Roleplaying games are about telling stories, fantasy, science fiction, mystery, and more… but one of our favorite kinds of stories here at The Secret Cabal is the genre of horror. Today Bender and Jamie talk about how they run horror themed games and how you can celebrate Halloween by giving your players a good scare
Our good friend Gareth joins us in this episode to give us his thoughts on Essen Spiel 2018.
During this weeks episode:
1) The Pegs discuss Robb and Christina’s Essen 2018 experience;
2) All the Pegs discuss their recent gameplays including Captains of the Gulf, Silk, Pandoria, and more;
3) All the Pegs review the action selection game Feudum; and
4) Look back at three trick taking games; Custom Heroes, Trickster: Champions of Time, and Indulgence.